½ cup (4 fl oz spoodle or No. 8 scoop) provides:
- ⅜ cup red/orange vegetable, ⅛ cup other vegetable, and ⅛ cup fruit.
|2 qt + 2 cup (3 lb) Fresh carrots, ¼” slices|
|1 qt + 2 cups (3 lb) Fresh sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed 1”|
|1 qt + 2⅔ cups (3 lb) Fresh butternut squash, peeled, cubed ½”|
|3 cups + 2 Tbsp (1 lb) Fresh red onions, diced|
|⅔ cup Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 tsp Sea salt|
|3 qt + 2⅔ cups (4 lb) Fresh green apples, peeled, cubed ½” Note: Place apples in a bowl of water with a squirt of lemon juice to prevent them from browning. Drain when ready to use.|
|3 Tbsp Fresh thyme, finely chopped|
|3 Tbsp Fresh oregano, finely chopped|
|3 Tbsp Fresh sage, finely chopped|
|2 Tbsp Fresh rosemary, finely chopped|
|2 Tbsp + 1 tsp Minced garlic|
|¼ cup + 1 Tbsp Maple syrup|
|1 qt + 2 cups (11 oz) Fresh spinach, coarsely chopped|
|⅓ cup (2 oz) Dried cranberries, finely chopped|
Harvest Delight Directions
- Place carrots in a perforated steam table pan (12” x 20” x 2 ½”). Cover and steam for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Toss carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, and onions with the oil and salt. Line sheet pan (18” x 26” x 1”) with parchment paper and spray with pan release spray. Spread vegetables evenly on sheet pan. For 50 servings, use 4 pans. Roast uncovered until tender and slightly browned. Turn vegetables midway through cooking: Conventional oven: 425 °F for 25 minutes. Convection oven: 425 °F for 18 minutes.
- Combine apples, thyme, oregano, sage, rosemary, and garlic.
- Remove vegetables from oven. Lower heat to 400 °F. Add apple mixture. Spread evenly. Roast uncovered until slightly tender: Conventional oven: 400 °F for 15 minutes. Convection oven: 400 °F for 10 minutes
- Remove vegetable/apple mixture from oven. Transfer to a steam table pan (12” x 20” x 2½”) lightly coated with pan release spray. For 50 servings use 2 pans.
- Drizzle with maple syrup and toss to coat. Roast until tender: Conventional oven: 400 °F for 8 minutes. Convection oven: 400 °F for 5 minutes. Critical Control Point: Heat to 135 °F or higher for at least 15 seconds.
- Remove vegetable/apple mixture from oven and gently toss in spinach. Mix in cranberries and serve.
- Critical Control Point: Hold for hot service at 135 °F or higher.
- Portion with 4 fl oz spoodle or No. 8 scoop (½ cup).
Source: Recipes for Healthy Kids: Cookbook for Schools (USDA).