Purple Pirate Potatoes (Roasted Beets and Sweet Potatoes)
½ cup (4 fl oz spoodle or #8 scoop) provides:
- ¼ cup red/orange vegetable
- ¼ cup other vegetable
|1 gal + 1 ⅜ cups (6 lb ) *Beets, fresh, peeled and chopped (about 1” size cubes). Can use red or golden beets. Red beets create a more purple color.|
|1 gal + 3 ½ cups (8 lb) *Sweet potatoes, fresh, peeled and chopped (about 1|
|3 cups (1 lb) *Onion, sweet, fresh, diced small|
|¼ cup + 2 Tbsp Olive oil (divided amongst recipe steps)|
|2 ½ tsp Salt|
|1 Tbsp Pepper, black|
|½ cup (2.5 oz ) Brown sugar|
|2 Tbsp (0.5 oz ) Cinnamon|
|2 gal 2 ¾ cups (12 lb) *Beets, fresh, peeled and chopped (about 1” size cubes). Can use red or golden beets. Red beets create a more purple color.|
|2 gal + 1 qt + 3 cups (16 lb) *Sweet potatoes, fresh, peeled and chopped (about 1|
|6 cups (2 lb) *Onion, sweet, fresh, diced small|
|¾ cup Olive oil (divided amongst recipe steps)|
|1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Salt|
|2 Tbsp Pepper, black|
|1 cup (5 oz) Brown sugar|
|4 Tbsp (1 oz) Cinnamon|
Purple Pirate Potatoes (Roasted Beets and Sweet Potatoes) Directions
- Preheat convection oven to 375 ºF.
- Scrub beets and sweet potatoes well under running water. Peeling may not be necessary for either vegetable; especially if the beets are smaller in size and recently harvested.
- Chop the beets and sweet potatoes; dice the onion.
- In a large bowl, toss the beets with ⅓ of the olive oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sweet potatoes and onions. Pour the remaining oil over the items, ensuring they are covered with olive oil.
- Mix salt, pepper, brown sugar, and cinnamon together. Evenly coat the two bowls of vegetables with spice mixture.
- Pour vegetables out onto their own parchment paper lined hotel pans (beets in one pan; sweet potatoes and onions in a separate pan). Spread the vegetables out into an even layer.
- Bake, stirring every 20 minutes. The beets may take up to 60 minutes to soften fully, while the sweet potatoes will take less time (45 minutes). Check the beets often as the roasted beets tend to overcook (dry out and shrink) very quickly.
- Conventional oven 400 ºF for 60 minutes.
- Convection oven 375 ºF for 45-60 minutes.
Mix the beets and sweet potatoes/onions together to serve. The texture is the best right out of the oven. Strive to serve right away (avoid prolonged hot holding) by batch cooking.
Critical Control Point: Hot hold, if needed at 135 ºF.