For 25 & 50 servings, see Recipe notes below.
CACFP Home Childcare Crediting Information
1 ½ cups provides:
- 1 oz equivalent meat/meat alternate, ⅛ cup vegetable, and 1 ¾ oz equivalent grains.
|3 cups Penne pasta, whole-wheat, dry (12 oz)|
|1 tsp Granulated garlic|
|2 cups Fresh broccoli florets|
|1 cup Cooked diced chicken, ½” pieces (4 oz)|
|1 ½ cups Fat-free half and half|
|1 Tbsp Enriched all-purpose flour|
|⅛ cup Low-sodium chicken broth|
|1 tsp Salt|
|½ tsp Ground black pepper|
|½ cup Reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (2 oz)|
|½ cup Low-fat mozzarella cheese, low-moisture, part-skim, shredded (2 oz)|
Chic’ Penne Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a large pot, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Gradually stir in pasta and return to a boil. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Do not overcook. Drain well. Toss pasta with ½ teaspoon garlic.
- Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Add broccoli florets and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well. Sprinkle with remaining garlic.
- Transfer pasta and broccoli to a medium casserole dish (about 8” x 11”) coated with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken. Mix well.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix ½ cup half and half with flour. Whisk to remove lumps.
- In a medium skillet, heat chicken broth, salt, pepper, and remaining half and half. Stir constantly. Stir in half and half/flour mixture. Stir constantly and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir frequently for 5 minutes. Sauce will thicken. Add cheese and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat. Pour sauce over broccoli/pasta mixture.
- Cover casserole dish with lid or with foil. Bake at 350 °F for 8 minutes. Heat to an internal temperature of 165 °F or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature). Remove from oven. Serve hot.
Source: Recipes for Healthy Kids: Cookbook for Schools (USDA).