For 25 & 50 servings, see Recipe notes below.
CACFP Home Childcare Crediting Information
⅓ cup provides:
- ¼ cup vegetable.
|2 Tbsp (about 1 slice) Turkey bacon, cooked, chopped|
|½ cup Onions, fresh, peeled, ¼|
|2 qts Collard greens, fresh, leaves only, chopped|
|1 cup Water|
|¼ tsp Liquid smoke (optional)|
|Nonstick cooking spray|
Collard Greens Directions
- Coat a medium stockpot with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Heat bacon for 3–4 minutes, until lightly brown, stirring frequently.
- Increase heat to medium–high. Add onions, and sauté until soft.
- Add collard greens. Sauté for 1–2 minutes, stirring continuously, until greens begin to wilt.
- Add water to stockpot, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5–7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in liquid smoke (optional). Remove from heat when greens are tender. Heat to 140 °F or higher for at least 15 seconds.
- Serve ⅓ cup.
Critical Control Point: Hold at 140 °F or higher.
Source: Child Nutrition Recipe Box: Healthy Recipes for Child Nutrition Professionals (Institute of Child Nutrition).